“In the practice of yoga one can emphasize the body, the mind or the self and hence the effort can never be fruitless”
– Tirumalai Krishnamacharya, the ‘Father of Modern Yoga’
Yoga is a mind and body practice with historical origins in ancient Indian philosophy. Like other meditative movement practices used for health purposes, various styles of yoga typically combine physical postures, breathing techniques, and meditation or relaxation. Come find our inner Yogini with one of our many yoga options.
The types of yoga FitRepublik offers:
1. Hatha Yoga, which emphasizes physical exercises to master the body, along with mind exercises to withdraw it from external objects.
2. Ashtanga Yoga is a modern-day form of classical Indian yoga. Ashtanga means eight limbs or branches and it incorporates physical practice of asana or physical yoga posture and breath or pranayama.
3. Vinyasa Yoga coordinates movement with breath to flow from one pose to the next.
4. Gentle Yoga classes are typically described as appropriate for those who want a softer, nurturing, slow-paced, well-supported and relaxing practice. The approach includes carefully orchestrated movements, controlled pressure, and well-measured stretches, including range of motion exercises. Postures may be approached in gradual steps, with plenty of time to focus on breathing and repetition so that the practice is simple to do and easy to remember.
5. Power Yoga is a general term used to describe a vigorous, fitness-based approach to Vinyasa-style yoga. Power yoga does not follow a set series of poses, so classes can vary widely. It emphasizes strength and flexibility
6. Swing Yoga is a new and innovative yoga discipline that uses hammocks with adjustable handles in order to perform the different poses. The class is suitable for beginners and promotes stretching, flexibility and balance. The use of the swings enables participants to feel more secure and places minimal pressure on the muscles as the hammock carries the bulk of the body’s weight. Swing yoga focuses on the development and flexibility of the spine, hamstrings and hip flexors. The majority of the poses also work towards improving core strength and improving postural stability. The use of swings with adjustable handles also allows each individual to determine the level of stretching they can perform as per their respective range of motion.
For more information, visit fitrepublik.com or call 04 556 1800