There's no question that falling in love is both incredible and utterly terrifying. Depending on who you're infatuated with, the experience can either be the start of your lives together, or a step towards heartbreak, and not knowing the outcome can make everything feel so much scarier and shakier.
But, regardless of how everything between you turns out between you two in the end, it's still an experience that shapes you and changes you for the rest of your life. To let yourself be vulnerable and consumed with happiness when you're around another person is a privilege, and ultimately helps you open yourself up to so much joy. So whether you're currently falling in love and loving it, currently falling in love and stressing the hell out, or wondering what it feels like to fall in love, these 50 quotes from celebrities, movies, books, and songs are for you.
1. “I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”–John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
2. “First best is falling in love. Second best is being in love. Least best is falling out of love. But any of it is better than never having been in love.”–Maya Angelou
3. "I knew it the very first time I touched her. It was like coming home, only to no home I'd ever known."–Sleepless in Seattle
4. “IS THIS HOW IT GOES? YOU FALL IN LOVE, AND NOTHING SEEMS TRULY SCARY ANYMORE, AND LIFE IS ONE BIG POSSIBILITY?”–JENNY HAN, ALWAYS AND FOREVER, LARA JEAN
5. "I started talking with him, and he was just the most genuinely precious, sweet person. And the second audition comes around, and the chemistry was instant. From the time he walked in that door and we saw each other again, we [both] lit up, and we were excited to get work and learn together."–Miley Cyrus about Liam Hemsworth, Seventeen
6. “From the first time we read [The Last Song script], it was like I had known her before.”–Liam Hemsworth about Miley Cyrus, Teen Vogue
7. “You’re my downfall, you’re my muse/My worst distraction, my rhythm and blues/I can’t stop singing, it’s ringing, in my head for you.”–John Legend, "All of Me"
8. “She wasn't exactly sure when it happened. Or even when it started. All she knew for sure was that right here and now, she was falling hard and she could only pray that he was feeling the same way.”–Nicholas Sparks, Safe Haven
9. "You know, it's funny what a young man recollects. 'Cause I don't remember being born. I, I don't recall what I got for my first Christmas and I don't know when I went on my first outdoor picnic. But, I do remember the first time I heard the sweetest voice in the whole wide world."–Forrest Gump
10. "On our first date, I treated her to the finest ice cream Baskin-Robbins had to offer, our dinner table doubling as the curb. I kissed her, and it tasted like chocolate."–Barack Obama about Michelle Obama, O, The Oprah Winfrey Magazine
11. “WHEN YOU REALIZE YOU WANT TO SPEND THE REST OF YOUR LIFE WITH SOMEBODY, YOU WANT THE REST OF YOUR LIFE WITH SOMEBODY, YOU WANT THE REST OF YOUR LIFE TO START AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.”–WHEN HARRY MET SALLY
12. “It was not a convenient time for me to fall in love with him–and it was not a convenient time for him to fall in love with me. One morning, about four o'clock, I was driving my car just about as fast as I could. I thought, 'Why am I out on the highway this time of night?' I was miserable, and it all came to me: 'I'm falling in love with somebody I have no right to fall in love with. I can't fall in love with this man, but it's just like a ring of fire.”–June Carter Cash about Johnny Cash
13. “Love is passion, obsession, someone you can’t live without. If you don’t start with that, what are you going to end up with?”–Meet Joe Black
14. “I saw my husband in a photograph before I saw him. I was not a hopeless romantic. I never thought about getting married, it never occurred to me that I would grow old with someone. I just thought I would be living my single girl life in the city and sort of like moving. When I saw him, the photograph of him, I saw my entire future with him flash before — like I saw it."–Kelly Ripa about Mark Consuelos
15. "I've fallen in love. I'm an ordinary woman. I didn't think such violent things could happen to ordinary people."–Brief Encounter
16. "Cause you make me feel like/I could be driving you all night/And I'll find your lips in the street lights/I wanna be there with you."–Carly Rae Jepsen, "Run Away With Me"
17. “Completely love at first sight. He told me he went home and wrote my number on so many other things in case he lost it.”–Victoria Beckham about David Beckham
18. “EACH TIME YOU HAPPEN TO ME ALL OVER AGAIN.”–EDITH WHARTON, THE AGE OF INNOCENCE
19. "I am here and I am looking at her. And she is so beautiful. I can see it. This one moment when you know you’re not a sad story. You are alive, and you stand up and see the lights on the buildings and everything that makes you wonder.”–Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower
20. “I hope you don’t mind/That I put down in words/How wonderful life is while you’re in the world.”–Elton John, "Your Song"
21. "I'm just... happy. I've never felt that before. I'm just exactly where I want to be."–Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
22. “I’m not one for vomiting declarations of sentiment out across the airwaves, but when we had that baby, I fell more in love with my wife than I’d ever been in my entire life. I couldn't even believe it."–Ryan Reynolds about Blake Lively, Late Show with David Letterman
23. “It is not time or opportunity that is to determine intimacy; - it is disposition alone. Seven years would be insufficient to make some people acquainted with each other, and seven days are more than enough for others.”–Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility
24. “YOU’RE THE FIRST BOY I EVER KISSED, JAKE, AND I WANT YOU TO BE THE LAST.”–SWEET HOME ALABAMA
25. “This is the golden age of something good and right and real/and I never saw you coming/and I’ll never be the same.”–Taylor Swift, "State of Grace"
26. "It was 2009, and I was tipsy and twirling when I bumped into Aaron. He was gorgeous—the kind of handsome I’d seen in my mind when I let myself be the girl who can have that, the girl I’d watched on screen so many times in rom-coms that always seemed to end in marriage. Within minutes of our meeting, he invited me for a cup of coffee, and in a nearby fluorescent-lit café, I discovered that he was more than good-looking. He was kind and attentive and had a generous ear. I knew he was my guy, but I was unsure if I’d be his girl… Aaron proposed to me five years later at our home last December. When I said yes, I had never been more certain about anything."–Janet Mock about Aaron Tredwell, Brides
27. "You know she beat me at darts and then she beat me at pool/And then she kissed me like there was nobody else in the room."–Ed Sheeran, "Galway Girl"
28. "Relationships are funny. You have to constantly fall in love and challenge each other."–Justin Timberlake, Glamour
29. "I knew I'd never be able to remember what Nina wore that day. But I also knew I'd never forget the way she looked."–The Father of the Bride
30. “He knew that when he kissed this girl, and forever wed his unutterable visions to her perishable breath, his mind would never romp again like the mind of God. So he waited, listening for a moment longer to the tuning-fork that had been struck upon a star. Then he kissed her. At his lips’ touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete.”–F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
31. "Thirteen years and one day ago, I crossed paths with the guy on the left. The adventures have never ceased. The love has never waned. The gifts are never ending."–Neil Patrick Harris about David Burtka, Instagram
32. “THEY SAY WHEN YOU MEET THE LOVE OF YOUR LIFE, TIME STOPS, AND THAT’S TRUE.”–BIG FISH
33. "I look and stare so deep in your eyes/I touch on you more and more every time/When you leave, I'm begging you not to go/Call your name two or three times in a row/Such a funny thing for me to try to explain/How I'm feeling and my pride is the one to blame/'Cause I know I don't understand/Just how your love can do what no one else can."–Beyoncé and Jay Z, "Crazy in Love"
34. "Like a river flows/Surely to the sea/Darling, so it goes/Some things are meant to be."–Elvis Presley, "Can't Help Falling in Love With You"
35. "Life for me changed fundamentally…David [Bowie] gave me the most exciting, touching, and deliriously loving 24 years. Still, it was not enough—shockingly brief. And although I’ll never get used to losing him, David is nonetheless hiding in plain sight.”–Iman about David Bowie, Vogue
36. “THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT WE NEVER FALL FOR THE PERSON WE'RE SUPPOSED TO.”―JODI PICOULT, MY SISTER'S KEEPER
37. “Let me tell you, my friend, I will be in the honeymoon phase until I leave this planet." Aaron Paul about Lauren Parsekian, People
38. “Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight! For I ne’er saw true beauty till this night.”–William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet
39. “I found out she was married — I assumed to a woman. It was a little dagger in my heart. I remember this whirlwind of me falling in love in those four days. I thought I’d forget about her, but that Christmas I found myself talking to my mother about it. I never talk to her about anything like this, but I was completely open about how lost I felt. That was the real indicator for me: me talking to my mother about Lauren."–Samira Wiley about Lauren Morelli, Out
40. “I can’t sleep, I can’t eat, I can’t do anything but think about him. At night I dream of him, all day I wait to see him, and when I do see him my heart turns over and I think I will faint with desire.”–Philippa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl
41. "FLAME YOU CAME TO ME/FIRE MEET GASOLINE/FIRE MEET GASOLINE/I'M BURNING ALIVE/I CAN BARELY BREATHE."
42. “We fell in love, and before long, we could just tell that we wanted to stay together and make a life together. We wanted to declare to each other and our friends and family that we were in it to win it. It’s important to note that it was not the result of any planning on either of our parts. In fact, we were both looking rather in the other direction when we ran smack into it.” –Nick Offerman about Megan Mullaly, The AV Club
43. “I didn’t have a crush on any of the players. Except Ilana. Ilana was a great player.”–Billie Jean King about Ilana Kloss, Vanity Fair
44. "I watch them other girls when they come and bug you/But I felt like I knew you, so I just wanted to hug you."–Ariana Grande, "R.E.M."
45. “I must say that when I met Rita, I thought, ‘Oh, this is what it’s supposed to be like when you are married to someone. It’s supposed to be this carefree and easy and, you know, oddly enough, weighty."–Tom Hanks about Rita Wilson
46. "Slowly now we begin to move/Every breath I'm deeper into you."–Madonna, "Crazy for You"
47. “It's more like you meet someone, and you fall in love, and you hope that that person is the one—and then at some point, you have to put down your chips. You just have to make a commitment and hope that you're right.”–Rainbow Rowell, Landline
48. “HE STEPPED DOWN, TRYING NOT TO LOOK LONG AT HER, AS IF SHE WERE THE SUN, YET HE SAW HER, LIKE THE SUN, EVEN WITHOUT LOOKING.”–LEO TOLSTOY, ANNA KARENINA
49. "My mom always used to say, 'You can't say I love you before you can say I.' And I think that sort of makes sense."–Mindy Kaling
50. "It’s so hard and scary to open your heart to someone. It’s much easier to kind of float and not invest and not expose yourself and not open your heart. The point is, vulnerability is the key to happiness. Vulnerable people are powerful people. Opening your heart and sharing it means you’re going to get so much love in your life.”–Amy Poehler on Ask Amy
Follow Julia on Twitter.