1) You're SO independent... until you need your dad. You'll happily spiel off your 'I don't need a man, I'm so independent' Beyoncé style speech to anyone that'll listen. But you know deep down you do need one man...
2) You go to him before your mum. You know the dynamics of the household and your dad is always the first port of call, as your chances of success are almost guaranteed. He's the one that bailed you from your boyfriend's house after that big argument and the one that brought you a dress when you had nothing to wear to the Christmas party. Dads save lives, fact. ?
3) You do things you kinda hate just to impress him. You haven't got the heart to tell him that you don't think Frasier is funny, so you'll sit through hours of it, and laugh when he laughs, and say things like 'Dad, it's crazy how relevant it still is' whenever you think its required. (Even when it's totally not still relevant).
4) You try to be the son he never had. Sure, I'll join the school's football team. Sure, I'll have a beer instead of wine. You even ask for trainers for your birthday, as you know he enjoys buying them for you, even though what you really wanted was a pair of Kurt Geiger boots.
5) You think he's the funniest and smartest person you know. No one can make you laugh like him and if your dad doesn't know the answer to something, then what you asked wasn't a legitimate question.
6) When your friends are telling boyfriend anecdotes, you just share a story about your Dad. 'Your boyfriend may have surprised you with a bouquet of flowers but my dad built me a dressing table when I mentioned that I needed a place for my lamp'.
7) The Bank of Dad is your favourite place in the world. No matter how hard you try to pay him back, he insists the loans are paid off in cups of teas and a 'thank you' text.
8) And despite being in your 20s you still secretly rely on him just a teeny tiny bit financially (but shhh). You only have to mention that your friends are going to a fancy restaurant that you can't afford and Dhs200 will be transferred into your account. It's like magic. Wonderful, kind, dad-based magic.
9) You have a taxi driver on tap. Whether you want him to or not, the second he thinks you haven't got the cash or is worried about you, he's THERE.
10) You're in constant battle with your siblings to be his favourite. You secretly revel in any opportunity to show your dad how great you are. Father's Day cards become less a declaration of your love and more a fierce contest as to who can use the best adjectives.
11) You LOVE any excuse to hang out. Whether it's a dad-daughter Sunday roast, casual little pub trip or a stroll in the park, your quality time is the BEST and you don't care who knows it.
12) Most importantly, you know when you mess up he's the one you can turn to, and he'll be there waiting with a cup of tea, some inspiring words and his cheque book. Dads are the best.
Originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.co.uk